It’s mudfud with a gerund, of course. Okay, well what’s a mudfud?
Well the first thing that you should learn is that the proper spelling is “mudphud”. I use the ‘f‘ instead of the ‘ph‘ because it’s more artsy that way… or something.
Okay, so what’s a mudphud. That’s easy to explain with a simple, 5-step exercise. But you have to play along and follow these instructions. Trust me, it’s going to be awesome!
- Open up some kind of word processor, or go get a pencil and paper.
- Write out “MUDPHUD” just like this, in capital letters.
- Erase the first letter ‘U’.
- Okay, now erase the other letter ‘U’.
- Now, say the name of each letter from left to right (you know, like singing the alphabet song: M = “em”, etc.)
So there you go! A MuDPHuD is an MD/PhD: physician scientist who holds both MD and PhD degrees.
Thus I affectionately refer to being an MD/PhD student as “mudfudding: learning to save the world… one pipet tip at a time.” (This is a pipet.)
Now… if you read through this whole thing even though you already knew what a mudphud is, then thank you for reading.
If you are an MD/PhD student or graduate, then you probably have better things to do than to read this whole stupid thing in the first place, and thank you even more for reading.